For those of you interested in a bed deck system for your truck, but don’t want to pay Goose Gear prices, this is for you!
Reasons for a deck system over drawers comes down to three things;
The materials and tools were covered in the last post, but for midsize trucks w/5′ beds you can complete everything with one 4×8′ sheet of 1/2 plywood. Please look at photos on L4EC’s Instagram for more details.
- Measure and cut Base plate to length.
- Cut fender wells into deck. *Driver side piece will be used as fridge guard.
- Cut optional square for driver’s side bed stiffener.
- Measure fridge slider and cut.
- Cut Notch for fridge slide lever.
- Cut rear fridge plate
- If using a National Luna Portable battery pack, cut out base for tray.
Router w/ radius bit
- Tailgate edge from Driver’s edge to edge of fridge plate.
- Top rear edge of fridge tray. (nearest to tailgate)
- If building battery tray, router top inner and outer edge for top piece.
- Top outer edge of fridge guard plates.
Router with cutting bit
- Cut underside of fridge tray to fit L- brackets.
- If using bed stiffeners, mill spots for rear most bed bolts and notch passenger side for Total Chaos Bed stiffener.
Mock up/ Drilling/ T-nuts
- Measure and mark holes for bed bolts.
- Clamp Fridge plate to deck plate w/L-brackets in place.
- Clamp side plate to L-Bracket.
- Set 48″ Aircraft track next to fridge side plate, so that it is touching.
- Set Drivers Aircraft track on outer edge of bed deck.
- Mark and drill all holes for Aircraft track and bed bolts.
- Remove all items from bed deck and flip deck over.
- Over drill holes for installation of T-nuts.
- Press fit t-nuts.
- Flip Bed deck back over.
- Using a 1/4-20 bolt and fender washer, tighten T-nuts into deck.
Fridge Plate and slider install
*There is more that one way to do this, but I suggest gluing the plate before drilling.
- Clean surface of bed deck and bottom of fridge plate.
- Apply wood glue to bottom of fridge plate.
- Place fridge plate onto bed deck being sure to align edges.
- Clamp fridge plate to bed deck. ** I placed a 40 pound dumbbell on the back corner where the clamps couldn’t reach.
- Clean excess glue with damp paper towel.
- Allow glue to dry.
- Remove clamps
- Sand edges *If not aligned, use straight router bit to clean up edge.
- Place Slider onto plate and mark holes.
- Remover slider and drill holes.
- Flip bed deck and over drill holes for T-Nut installation.
- Press fit T-nuts
- Flip deck over and tighten T-nuts.
Battery tray Install
Given the fact this is a specialized item not everyone will be using I won’t be covering detailed steps. Please refer to photos on IG account. It is secured to the deck by T-nuts.
If using Durabak-18, primer is not required. Please check specific paint selection prior to beginning.
- Primer top of bed deck and side plates.
- After top is dry, flip and primer bottom of deck and side plates.
- Repeat as needed.
- Apply paint of choice per instructions.
- Install L-brackets and side plates.
- Install Aircraft track.
- Install battery tray. *If applicable.
- Place Rubber spacers over bed bolt holes.
- Place deck into bed and install bed bolts.
- Install fridge slider
- Install fridge